I am a Colombian computer scientist from Ciénaga, Magdalena. I am currently a researcher in digital image processing and applied bioinformatics at Universidad Nacional de Colombia. My main areas of interest lie in computer vision and in the application of image processing algorithms to biological images. As for software development, I love to implement data engineering and data visualization workflows that enable other professionals to obtain insights from data.
Since 2019, I collaborate with Professor David C. Schwartz's Laboratory for Molecular and Computational Genomics @ University of Wisconsin - Madison. As part of my work there, I have developed algorithms for processing images and signals toward the development of a novel genome mapping system.
Since Fall 2021, I am a Computer Science Ph.D. student at Northeastern University, in Boston. There, I'm working with Prof. Huaizu Jiang on vision-language models for commonsense reasoning.
- 2021/09: Started the Ph.D. in Computer Science program at Northeastern University
- 2021/06: Completed the graduate specialization in Analytics and Data Science at Universidad de Antioquia
- 2021/04: The GeoAI team at South Pole, which I am part of, was awarded with a 15,000 USD (in Azure credits) grant by Microsoft to develop ML models for land cover classification
- 2021/01: Admitted to Northeastern University’s CS Ph.D. program!
- 2020/08: Awarded the Fulbright Ph.D. scholarship
- 2020/07: Joined South Pole as Computer Vision Engineer
- 2019/07: Awarded a ‘Joven Investigador’ research grant by COLCIENCIAS to develop image processing algorithms for green coffee bean defect detection
- 2019/05: Did a research visit to the LMCG at UW-Madison
- 2019/04: Joined the Colombia Wisconsin One Health Consortium as Data Engineer
Activities and other courses
Participated in the 2022 edition of the Computing Research Association (CRA) Grad Cohort Workshop for Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Leadership Skills (IDEALS)
Attended the Computational Neuroscience and Deep Learning courses as part of the 2021 edition of Neuromatch Academy
Attended the online course: ARSET - Using Google Earth Engine for Land Monitoring Applications, by NASA
Participated in the Data Umbrella Latin America Sprint and submitted a merged PR to the scikit-learn project
Attended the 2021 edition of the Mexican NLP Summer School
Member of the Computational Neurosciences student group at Univ. de Antioquia
Participated in the 2020 International Asteroid Search Campaign; searched and reported asteroid candidates in FITS imagery as part of Prof. Jorge Iván Zuluaga's group
Completed the 3-month intensive AI-readiness Data Science 4 All program, taught by Correlation One, with honors
Cofounder of the TecnIA student research group at Universidad Nacional de Colombia, focused on introducing undergraduates from various backgrounds to data analysis and machine learning
Attended the 2019 edition of the Astronomy Twinning Program by Universidad de Antioquia and Leiden University
- Instructor @ Universidad de Antioquia:
- Programming Fundamentals (Summer 2021, MISION TIC program)
- Graduate Teaching Assistant @ Universidad Nacional de Colombia:
- Artificial Vision (Semesters 2018-II, 2019-I, and 2019-II)
- Programming Fundamentals (Semester 2018-I)
- Undergraduate Teaching Assistant @ Universidad del Magdalena:
- Mathematical Reasoning & Representation (Semester 2015-I)